Curriculum; Mental Health Services; Psychotic Disorders; Schizophrenic Psychology; Health Care Quality, Access, and Evaluation; Evidence-Based Medicine; Schizophrenia and Disorders with Psychotic Features
Public Health Interests
Health Services Research
Psychiatry: Connecticut Mental Health Center | Neurocognition, Neurocomputation, and Neurogenetics, Division of | Psychosis Program at Yale | Specialized Treatment for Early Psychosis (STEP) Program
Dr. Srihari is seeking to determine how best to provide care to individuals who have recently experienced the onset of psychotic symptoms. He directs a research clinic that provides multi-disciplinary care to such individuals while also collecting outcomes to inform an assessment of the cost-effectiveness of such care. The overall goal is to articulate a model of care that can be implemented in community settings across the U.S. to promote the functional recovery of individuals with psychotic illnesses.
Extensive Research Description
The STEP program is engaged in a variety of research projects across the translational continuum with several allied laboratories. The subset or projects that Dr. Srihari is currently a funded Principal Investigator are:
1. NIH R01: Test of a population based strategy to reduce Duration of Untreated Psychosis (Srihari, 2013-’18)
2. DONAGHUE R3: Web-based tool/ dissemination of STEP model (Cahill&Srihari, 2015-’17):
3. NIH R01: Multi-model Assessment of Social Process Systems across Autism * Psychosis (McPartland/Srihari, 2015-‘18)
4. NIH Supplement: Inflammatory biomarkers for treatment response and illness trajectories (Srihari, 2015-’16)
Reducing the duration of untreated psychosis and its impact in the U.S.: the STEP-ED study.
Reducing the duration of untreated psychosis and its impact in the U.S.: the STEP-ED study. BMC Psychiatry. 2014 Dec 4;14:335. doi: 10.1186/s12888-014-0335-3.
First-Episode Services for Psychotic Disorders in the U.S. Public Sector: A Pragmatic Randomized Controlled Trial.
First-Episode Services for Psychotic Disorders in the U.S. Public Sector: A Pragmatic Randomized Controlled Trial. Psychiatr Serv. 2015 Jul;66(7):705-12. doi: 10.1176/appi.ps.201400236. Epub 2015 Feb 2.
Who Is Paying the Price? Loss of Insurance Coverage Early in Psychosis.
Dodds TJ, Phutane VH, Stevens BJ, Woods SW, Sernyak MJ, Srihari VH. Who Is Paying the Price? Loss of Insurance Coverage Early in Psychosis. Psychiatric Services 2011; 62(8):878-881.
Is Early Intervention for Psychosis Feasible and Effective?
Srihari VH, Shah J, Keshavan MS. Is Early Intervention for Psychosis Feasible and Effective? Psychiatr Clin N Am 35(2012) 613-631
Cardiovascular risk in a first-episode psychosis sample: A ‘critical period’ for prevention?
Phutane VH, Tek C, Chwastiak L, Ratliff JC, Ozyuksel B, Woods SW, Srihari VH. Cardiovascular risk in a first-episode psychosis sample: A ‘critical period’ for prevention? Schizophrenia Research 2011; 127: 257-261.
Public-Academic Partnerships: Early Intervention for Psychotic Disorders in a Community Mental Health Center.
Srihari VH, Breitborde NJK, Frisman L, Tek C, McGlashan TH, Jacobs S, Woods SW. Public-Academic Partnerships: Early Intervention for Psychotic Disorders in a Community Mental Health Center. Psychiatric Services. 2009 (Nov/Dec)
Evidence-Based Medicine (EBM) in the Education of Psychiatrists.
Srihari VH. Evidence-Based Medicine (EBM) in the Education of Psychiatrists. Academic Psychiatry. 2008;32(6):463-9.
Early Intervention for Psychotic Disorders Building Population Health Systems
AMA Psychiatry. Published online January 06, 2016. doi:10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2015.2821
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Guloksuz S, Li F, Tek C, Woods SW, McGlashan TH, Friis S, Srihari VH: Analyzing the Duration of Untreated Psychosis: Quantile Regression. JAMA Psychiatry. 2016 Oct 1. PMID: 27580422
- Tek C, Kucukgoncu S, Guloksuz S, Woods SW, Srihari VH, Annamalai A: Antipsychotic-induced weight gain in first-episode psychosis patients: a meta-analysis of differential effects of antipsychotic medications. Early Interv Psychiatry. 2016 Jun; 2015 May 12. PMID: 25962699
- Srihari VH, Jani A, Gray M: Early Intervention for Psychotic Disorders: Building Population Health Systems. JAMA Psychiatry. 2016 Feb. PMID: 26747524
- Srihari VH, Tek C, Kucukgoncu S, Phutane VH, Breitborde NJ, Pollard J, Ozkan B, Saksa J, Walsh BC, Woods SW: First-Episode Services for Psychotic Disorders in the U.S. Public Sector: A Pragmatic Randomized Controlled Trial. Psychiatr Serv. 2015 Jul; 2015 Feb 2. PMID: 25639994
- Hay RA, Roach BJ, Srihari VH, Woods SW, Ford JM, Mathalon DH: Equivalent mismatch negativity deficits across deviant types in early illness schizophrenia-spectrum patients. Biol Psychol. 2015 Feb; 2015 Jan 17. PMID: 25603283
- Annamalai A, Palmese LB, Chwastiak LA, Srihari VH, Tek C: High rates of obstructive sleep apnea symptoms among patients with schizophrenia. Psychosomatics. 2015 Jan-Feb; 2014 Mar 2. PMID: 25023923
- Srihari VH, Tek C, Pollard J, Zimmet S, Keat J, Cahill JD, Kucukgoncu S, Walsh BC, Li F, Gueorguieva R, Levine N, Mesholam-Gately RI, Friedman-Yakoobian M, Seidman LJ, Keshavan MS, McGlashan TH, Woods SW: Reducing the duration of untreated psychosis and its impact in the U.S.: the STEP-ED study. BMC Psychiatry. 2014 Dec 4; 2014 Dec 4. PMID: 25471062
- Tek C, Palmese LB, Krystal AD, Srihari VH, DeGeorge PC, Reutenauer EL, Guloksuz S: The impact of eszopiclone on sleep and cognition in patients with schizophrenia and insomnia: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Schizophr Res. 2014 Dec; 2014 Oct 29. PMID: 25454802
- Breitborde NJ, Kleinlein P, Srihari VH: Causality Orientations among Individuals with First-Episode Psychosis. Psychosis. 2014 Jun 1. PMID: 24976861
- Perez VB, Woods SW, Roach BJ, Ford JM, McGlashan TH, Srihari VH, Mathalon DH: Automatic auditory processing deficits in schizophrenia and clinical high-risk patients: forecasting psychosis risk with mismatch negativity. Biol Psychiatry. 2014 Mar 15; 2013 Sep 16. PMID: 24050720
- Tek C, Guloksuz S, Srihari VH, Reutenauer EL: Investigating the safety and efficacy of naltrexone for anti-psychotic induced weight gain in severe mental illness: study protocol of a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. BMC Psychiatry. 2013 Jun 27; 2013 Jun 27. PMID: 23805859
- Srihari VH, Phutane VH, Ozkan B, Chwastiak L, Ratliff JC, Woods SW, Tek C: Cardiovascular mortality in schizophrenia: defining a critical period for prevention. Schizophr Res. 2013 May; 2013 Feb 17. PMID: 23422728
- Ratliff JC, Palmese LB, Reutenauer EL, Srihari VH, Tek C: Obese schizophrenia spectrum patients have significantly higher 10-year general cardiovascular risk and vascular ages than obese individuals without severe mental illness. Psychosomatics. 2013 Jan-Feb; 2012 Jun 2. PMID: 22664309
- Srihari VH, Shah J, Keshavan MS: Is early intervention for psychosis feasible and effective? Psychiatr Clin North Am. 2012 Sep; 2012 Jul 21. PMID: 22929869
- Palmese LB, DeGeorge PC, Ratliff JC, Srihari VH, Wexler BE, Krystal AD, Tek C: Insomnia is frequent in schizophrenia and associated with night eating and obesity. Schizophr Res. 2011 Dec. PMID: 21856129
- Dodds TJ, Phutane VH, Stevens BJ, Woods SW, Sernyak MJ, Srihari VH: Who is paying the price? Loss of health insurance coverage early in psychosis. Psychiatr Serv. 2011 Aug. PMID: 21807825
- Phutane VH, Tek C, Chwastiak L, Ratliff JC, Ozyuksel B, Woods SW, Srihari VH: Cardiovascular risk in a first-episode psychosis sample: a 'critical period' for prevention? Schizophr Res. 2011 Apr; 2011 Jan 15. PMID: 21242060
- Srihari VH, Breitborde NJ, Pollard J, Tek C, Hyman L, Frisman LK, McGlashan TH, Jacobs S, Woods SW: Public-academic partnerships: early intervention for psychotic disorders in a community mental health center. Psychiatr Serv. 2009 Nov. PMID: 19880454
- Saksa JR, Cohen SJ, Srihari VH, Woods SW: Cognitive behavior therapy for early psychosis: a comprehensive review of individual vs. group treatment studies. Int J Group Psychother. 2009 Jul. PMID: 19548785
- Srihari VH, Lee TW: Pulmonary embolism in a patient taking clozapine. BMJ. 2008 Jun 28. PMID: 18583682
- Srihari VH, Tek C, Chwastiak LA, Woods SW, Steiner JL: Best practices: surveillance and management of diabetes in a CMHC population. Psychiatr Serv. 2007 Sep. PMID: 17766557
- Srihari VH, Lee TS, Rohrbaugh RM, D'Souza DC: Revisiting cycloid psychosis: a case of an acute, transient and recurring psychotic disorder. Schizophr Res. 2006 Feb 28; 2006 Jan 26. PMID: 16442782