A: amygdala, H: hippocampus, V: ventral prefrontal cortex, C: cingulate cortex
Hilary P. Blumberg
The John and Hope Furth Professor of Psychiatric Neuroscience, and Professor of Diagnostic Radiology and in the Child Study Center
Director, Mood Disorders Research Program
The Yale Mood Disorders Research Program (MDRP) is dedicated to understanding the science of mood disorders, including bipolar disorder (manic-depressive illness) and depression. The MDRP brings together a multi-disciplinary group of scientists from across the Yale campus in a highly collaborative research effort. We use a wide variety of scientific methods to study how genetic and environmental factors affect the brain and lead to the development of mood disorders. Goals of the MDRP include the identification of biological markers for mood disorders and discovery of new treatment strategies. We hope that these research efforts will lead to new and improved methods for early detection and treatment, and someday prevention, of mood disorders.
- State-of-the-Art Brain Scanning (including MRI, fMRI, DTI)
- Behavior and Cognition
- Women and Mood Disorders
Who is eligible to participate in research?
- Adolescents with Bipolar Disorder
- Adults with Bipolar Disorder
- Family members of individuals with Bipolar Disorder
- Adolescents with depression
- Healthy adolescents and adults to study healthy brain development
Read More About Us:
- Blumberg HP, Leung HC, Skudlarski P, Lacadie C, Fredericks C, Harris B, Charney D, Gore JC, Krystal JH, Peterson BS. A functional magnetic resonance imaging study of bipolar disorder: state- and trait-related dysfunction in ventral prefrontal cortices. Archives of General Psychiatry 2003, 60:601-609.
- Blumberg HP, Martin A, Kaufman J, Leung H-C, Skudlarski P, Lacadie C, Fulbright RK, Gore JC, Charney DS, Krystal JH, Peterson BS. Frontostriatal abnormalities in adolescents with bipolar disorder: preliminary observations using functional MRI. American Journal of Psychiatry 2003, 160:1345-1347.
- Blumberg HP, Donegan NH, Sanislow CA, Collins S, Lacadie C, Skudlarski P, Gueorguieva R, Fulbright RK, McGlashan TH, Gore JC, Krystal JH. Preliminary evidence for medication effects on functional abnormalities in the amygdala and anterior cingulate in bipolar disorder. Psychopharmacology 2005, 183:308-313.
- Blumberg HP, Fredericks C, Wang F, Kalmar J, Spencer L, Papademetris X, Pittman B, Martin A, Peterson BS, Fulbright R, Krystal JH. Preliminary evidence for persistent abnormalities in amygdala volumes in adolescents with bipolar disorder. Bipolar Disorders 2005, 7:570-576.
- Blumberg HP, Krystal JH, Bansal R, Martin A, Dziura J, Durkin K, Martin L, Gerard E, Charney DS, Peterson BS. Age, rapid-cycling and pharmacotherapy effects on ventral prefrontal cortex in bipolar disorder: a cross-sectional study.Biological Psychiatry 2006, 59:611-618
- Wang F, Jackowski M, Kalmar JH, Chepenik LG, Tie K, Qiu M, Gong G, Pittman PB, Jones MM, Shah MP, Spencer L, Papademetris X, Constable RT, Blumberg HP. Abnormal anterior cingulum integrity in bipolar disorder determined through diffusion tensor imaging. British Journal of Psychiatry 2008, 193:126-129.
- Wang F, Kalmar J, Edmiston E, Chepenik L, Bhagwagar Z, Spencer L, Jackowski M, Papdemetris X, Constable RT, Blumberg HP. Abnormal corpus callosum integrity in bipolar disorder: a diffusion tensor imaging study. Biological Psychiatry 2008, 64:730-733.
- Chepenik LG, Fredericks C, Papademetris X, Spencer L, Lacadie C, Wang F, Pittman B, Duncan JS, Staib LH, Duman RS, Gelernter J, Blumberg HP. Effects of the brain derived neurotrophic growth factor Val66Met variation on hippocampus morphology in bipolar disorder. Neuropsychopharmacology 2009, 34:944-51.
- Blumberg HP, Wang F, Chepenik LG, Kalmar JH, Edmiston E, Duman RS, Gelernter J. Influence of vascular endothelial growth factor variation on hippocampus morphology,Biological Psychiatry 2008, 64:901-903.
- Shah MP, Wang F, Kalmar JH, Chepenik LG, Tie K, Jones MM, Constable RT, Gelernter J, Blumberg HP. Role of genetic variation in the serotonin transporter in trait disturbances in the ventral anterior cingulate in bipolar disorder. Neuropsychopharmacology 2009, 34:1301-10.
- Kalmar JH, Wang F, Spencer L, Edmiston E, Lacadie C, Martin A, Constable RT, Duncan JS, Staib LH, Papademetris X, Blumberg HP. Preliminary evidence for progressive prefrontal abnormalities in adolescents and young adults with bipolar disorder.Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society 2009, 15:476-481.
- Kalmar JH, Wang F, Chepenik LG, Womer FY,Jones MM, Pittman B, Shah MP, Martin A, Constable RT, Blumberg HP. The relationship between amygdala structure and function in adolescents with bipolar disorder. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 2009, 48:636-642.
- Wang F, He Y, Jackowski M, Kalmar JH, Chepenik LG, Tie K, Gong G, Shah MP, Jones M, Uderman J, Constable RT, Blumberg HP. Structural and functional connectivity between the perigenual anterior cingulate and amygdala in bipolar disorder. Biological Psychiatry 2009, in press.