Ethics; Health Services Accessibility; Health Services Research; Professional-Patient Relations; Quality of Health Care; Healthcare Disparities; Psychiatry and Psychology
Research is broadly in the area of behavioral medicine with specific interests in fields of pain and pain management. Dr. Kerns was founding director of the Pain Research, Informatics, Multimorbidities, and Education (PRIME) Center funded by the Department of Veterans Affairs and based at the VA Connecticut Healthcare System that emphasizes the conduct of pain-relevant health services research that can inform policy, practice, and educational initiatives. He continues as Director of Mentoring and Career Development for this Center. The development of quality indicators for pain management is an overarching focus of research in this area. Several funded research projects are designed to evaluate the efficacy of self-management interventions for persistent pain including novel interventions that employ telehealth and other technologies to promote access and sustainability. Research informed by a motivational model of pain self-management explores moderators and mediators patient participation and outcomes and processes of change during these interventions.
Additional focuses include research related to the interface between pain and overweight/obesity, patient preferences for pain treatment, racial/ethnic and gender differences in the experience of pain and disparities in pain treatment, pain and prescription substance abuse, and medical and psychiatric comorbidities of pain.
Extensive Research Description
- Pain Care Quality and Integrated and Complementary Health Approaches. using Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing, this project develops the first automated measure of Pain Care Quality derived from primary care provider progress notes and subsequently validates the measure by examining its association with use of complementary and integrative health approaches and implementation of the stepped care model of pain management. The project is jointly funded by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Health Services Research and Development (HSR&D) Service and the National Institutes of Health/National Center for Complementary and Intrgrative Health.
- Musculoskeletal Diagnosis (MSD) Cohort: Examining pain and pain care in the VA. This VA HSR&D funded study examines sociodemographic and clinical characteristics, clinical care and costs of care of a cohort of over 5.4 million veterans with MSD.
- Pain Research, Informatics, Multimorbidities, and Education (PRIME) Center: This VA Health Services R&D Center is funded to build capacity for pain-relevant health services research at VA Connecticut and Yale University.
The West Haven-Yale Multidimensional Pain Inventory (WHYMPI).
Kerns, R.D., Turk, D.C. & Rudy, T.E. (1985). The West Haven-Yale Multidimensional Pain Inventory. Pain, 23, 345-356.
- Explaining high rates of depression in chronic pain: A diathesis-stress framework Banks, S.M. & Kerns, R.D. (1996). Explaining high rates of depression in chronic pain: A diathesis-stress framework. Psychological Bulletin, 119, 95-110.
Readiness to adopt a self-management approach to chronic pain: The Pain Stages of Change Questionnaire (PSOCQ).
Kerns, R.D., Rosenberg, R., Jamison, R.N., Caudill, M.A. & Haythornthwaite, J. (1997). Readiness to adopt a self-management approach to chronic pain: The Pain Stages of Change Questionnaire (PSOCQ). Pain, 72, 227-234.
Veterans’ reports of pain and associations with ratings of health, health risk behaviors, affective distress, and use of the healthcare system.
Kerns, R.D., Otis, J.D., & Rosenberg, R. (2003). Veterans’ reports of pain and associations with ratings of health, health risk behaviors, affective distress, and use of the healthcare system. Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, 40, 371-380.
Psychological treatment of chronic pain. Annual Review of Clinical Psychology
Kerns, R.D., Sellinger, J.J., & Goodin, B. (2011). Psychological treatment of chronic pain. Annual Review of Clinical Psychology, 7, 411-434.
Implementation of the Veterans Health Administration National Pain Management Strategy.
Kerns, R.D., Philip, E.J., Lee, A., & Rosenberger, P.R. (2011). Implementation of the Veterans Health Administration National Pain Management Strategy. Translational Behavioral Medicine, 1, 635-643.
Can we improve cognitive-behavioral therapy for chronic back pain engagement and adherence? A controlled trial of tailored versus standard therapy?
Kerns, R.D., Burns, J.W., Shulman, M., Jensen, M.P., Nielson, W.R., Czlapinski, R.., Dallas, M., Chatkoff, D., Sellinger, J., Heapy, A., & Rosenberger, P. (2014) Can we improve cognitive-behavioral therapy for chronic back pain engagement and adherence? A controlled trial of tailored versus standard therapy? Health Psychology, 33, 938-947.
A partnered approach to opioid management, guideline concordant care and the Stepped Care Model of Pain Management
Dorflinger, L., Moore, B., Goulet, J., Becker, W., Heapy, A.A., Sellinger, J.J. & Kerns, R.D. (2014). A partnered approach to opioid management, guideline concordant care and the Stepped Care Model of Pain Management. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 29, S870-S876.
Specific and general therapeutic mechanisms in cognitive-behavioral treatment for chronic pain.
Burns, J.W., Nielson, W.R., Jensen, M.P., Heapy, A., Czlapinski, R., & Kerns, R.D. (2015). Specific and general therapeutic mechanisms in cognitive-behavioral treatment for chronic pain. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 83, 1-11.
Does change occur for the reasons we think it does? A test of specific therapeutic operations during cognitive-behavioral treatment of chronic pain.
Burns, J.W., Nielson, W.R., Jensen, M.P., Heapy, A., Czlapinski, R., & Kerns, R.D. (2015). Does change occur for the reasons we think it does? A test of specific therapeutic operations during cognitive-behavioral treatment of chronic pain. Clinical Journal of Pain, 31(7), 603-611.
Using multiple daily pain ratings to improve reliability and assay sensitivity: How many is enough?
Heapy, A., Dziura, J., Buta, J., Goulet, J., Kulas, J.F., & Kerns, R.D. (2015). Using multiple daily pain ratings to improve reliability and assay sensitivity: How many is enough? Journal of Pain, 15(12), 1360-1365.
A systematic review of technology-assisted self-management interventions for chronic pain.
Heapy, A.A., Higgins, D.M., Cervone, D., Wandner, L., Fenton, B. & Kerns, R.D. (2015). A systematic review of technology-assisted self-management interventions for chronic pain. Clinical Journal of Pain, 31, 470-492.
The stepped care model of pain management and quality of pain care in long-term opioid therapy.
Moore, B.A., Anderson, D., Dorflinger, L., Zlateva, I., Lee, A., Gilliam, W., Tian, T., Khatri, K., Ruser, C. & Kerns, R.D. (2016). The stepped care model of pain management and quality of pain care in long-term opioid therapy. Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, 53(1), 137–146.
National dissemination of cognitive behavioral therapy for chronic pain in veterans: Therapist and patient-level outcomes.
Stewart, M.O., Karlin, B.E., Murphy, J.L., Raffa, S.D. Miller, S.A., McKellar, J. & Kerns, R.D. (2015). National dissemination of cognitive behavioral therapy for chronic pain in veterans: Therapist and patient-level outcomes. Clinical Journal of Pain, 31, 722-729.
Pain Psychology: A global needs assessment and national call to action.
Darnall, B.D., Scheman, J., Davin, S., Burns, J., Murphy, J.L., Wilson, A.L. & Kerns, R.D. (2016). Pain Psychology: A global needs assessment and national call to action. Pain Medicine. DOI: 10.1093/pm/pnv095.
National Action Plan for Adverse Drug Event Prevention: Recommendations for safer outpatient opioid use
Ducoffe, A.R., York, A., Hu, D.J., Perfetto, D. & Kerns, R.D. (2016). National Action Plan for Adverse Drug Event Prevention: Recommendations for safer outpatient opioid use. Pain Medicine, 00, 1-14. DOI: 10.1093/pm/pnw106.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Lin LA, Bohnert ASB, Kerns RD, Clay MA, Ganoczy D, Ilgen MA: Impact of the Opioid Safety Initiative on opioid-related prescribing in veterans. Pain. 2017 May. PMID: 28240996
- Heapy AA, Higgins DM, Goulet JL, LaChappelle KM, Driscoll MA, Czlapinski RA, Buta E, Piette JD, Krein SL, Kerns RD: Interactive Voice Response-Based Self-management for Chronic Back Pain: The COPES Noninferiority Randomized Trial. JAMA Intern Med. 2017 Apr 3; 2017 Apr 3. PMID: 28384682
- Banerjee G, Edelman EJ, Barry DT, Becker WC, Cerdá M, Crystal S, Gaither JR, Gordon AJ, Gordon KS, Kerns RD, Martins SS, Fiellin DA, Marshall BD: Reply to Ruan et al. (2017): Non-medical use of prescription opioids is associated with heroin initiation among US veterans. Addiction. 2017 Apr; 2017 Jan 25. PMID: 28120531
- Becker WC, Gordon K, Edelman EJ, Kerns RD, Crystal S, Dziura JD, Fiellin LE, Gordon AJ, Goulet JL, Justice AC, Fiellin DA: Erratum to: Trends in Any and High-Dose Opioid Analgesic Receipt Among Aging Patients With and Without HIV. AIDS Behav. 2017 Apr. PMID: 28188459
- Altalib HH, Elzamzamy K, Pugh MJ, Gonzalez JB, Cheung KH, Fenton BT, Kerns RD, Brandt CA, LaFrance WC: Reply to "Psychogenic nonepileptic seizures: We know what they are not. But do we know what they are?" Epilepsy Behav. 2017 Apr; 2017 Apr 7. PMID: 28392049
- Driscoll MA, Higgins D, Shamaskin-Garroway A, Burger A, Buta E, Goulet JL, Heapy A, Kerns RD, Brandt CA, Haskell SG: Examining Gender as a Correlate of Self-Reported Pain Treatment Use Among Recent Service Veterans with Deployment-Related Musculoskeletal Disorders. Pain Med. 2017 Mar 31; 2017 Mar 31. PMID: 28379576
- Higgins DM, Fenton BT, Driscoll MA, Heapy AA, Kerns RD, Bair MJ, Carroll C, Brennan PL, Burgess DJ, Piette JD, Haskell SG, Brandt CA, Goulet JL: Gender Differences in Demographic and Clinical Correlates among Veterans with Musculoskeletal Disorders. Womens Health Issues. 2017 Mar 18; 2017 Mar 18. PMID: 28325585
- Beitel M, Oberleitner L, Kahn M, Kerns RD, Liong C, Madden LM, Ginn J, Barry DT: Drug Counselor Responses to Patients' Pain Reports: A Qualitative Investigation of Barriers and Facilitators to Treating Patients with Chronic Pain in Methadone Maintenance Treatment. Pain Med. 2017 Feb 8; 2017 Feb 8. PMID: 28177509
- Bhimani RH, Cross LJ, Taylor BC, Meis LA, Fu SS, Allen KD, Krein SL, Do T, Kerns RD, Burgess DJ: Taking ACTION to reduce pain: ACTION study rationale, design and protocol of a randomized trial of a proactive telephone-based coaching intervention for chronic musculoskeletal pain among African Americans. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2017 Jan 13; 2017 Jan 13. PMID: 28086853
- Ducoffe AR, York A, Hu DJ, Perfetto D, Kerns RD: National Action Plan for Adverse Drug Event Prevention: Recommendations for Safer Outpatient Opioid Use. Pain Med. 2016 Dec; 2016 May 26. PMID: 28025363
- Sellinger JJ, Sofuoglu M, Kerns RD, Rosenheck RA: Combined Use of Opioids and Antidepressants in the Treatment of Pain: A Review of Veterans Health Administration Data for Patients with Pain Both With and Without Co-morbid Depression. Psychiatr Q. 2016 Dec. PMID: 26646578
- Banerjee G, Edelman EJ, Barry DT, Becker WC, Cerdá M, Crystal S, Gaither JR, Gordon AJ, Gordon KS, Kerns RD, Martins SS, Fiellin DA, Marshall BD: Non-medical use of prescription opioids is associated with heroin initiation among US veterans: a prospective cohort study. Addiction. 2016 Nov; 2016 Aug 23. PMID: 27552496
- Altalib HH, Elzamzamy K, Pugh MJ, Gonzalez JB, Cheung KH, Fenton BT, Kerns RD, Brandt CA, LaFrance WC Jr: Communicating diagnostic certainty of psychogenic nonepileptic seizures - a national study of provider documentation. Epilepsy Behav. 2016 Nov; 2016 Oct 7. PMID: 27723497
- Barry DT, Cutter CJ, Beitel M, Kerns RD, Liong C, Schottenfeld RS: Psychiatric Disorders Among Patients Seeking Treatment for Co-Occurring Chronic Pain and Opioid Use Disorder. J Clin Psychiatry. 2016 Oct. PMID: 27574837
- Bastian LA, Driscoll MA, Heapy AA, Becker WC, Goulet JL, Kerns RD, DeRycke EC, Perez E, Lynch SM, Mattocks K, Kroll-Desrosiers AR, Brandt CA, Skanderson M, Bathulapalli H, Haskell SG: Cigarette Smoking Status and Receipt of an Opioid Prescription Among Veterans of Recent Wars. Pain Med. 2016 Sep 21; 2016 Sep 21. PMID: 27659441
- Taylor AM, Phillips K, Patel KV, Turk DC, Dworkin RH, Beaton D, Clauw DJ, Gignac MA, Markman JD, Williams DA, Bujanover S, Burke LB, Carr DB, Choy EH, Conaghan PG, Cowan P, Farrar JT, Freeman R, Gewandter J, Gilron I, Goli V, Gover TD, Haddox JD, Kerns RD, Kopecky EA, Lee DA, Malamut R, Mease P, Rappaport BA, Simon LS, Singh JA, Smith SM, Strand V, Tugwell P, Vanhove GF, Veasley C, Walco GA, Wasan AD, Witter J: Assessment of physical function and participation in chronic pain clinical trials: IMMPACT/OMERACT recommendations. Pain. 2016 Sep. PMID: 27058676
- Barry DT, Sofuoglu M, Kerns RD, Wiechers IR, Rosenheck RA: Prevalence and correlates of coprescribing anxiolytic medications with extensive prescription opioid use in Veterans Health Administration patients with metastatic cancer. J Opioid Manag. 2016 Jul-Aug. PMID: 27575827
- Ducoffe AR, York A, Hu DJ, Perfetto D, Kerns RD: National Action Plan for Adverse Drug Event Prevention: Recommendations for Safer Outpatient Opioid Use. Pain Med. 2016 May 26; 2016 May 26. PMID: 27230077
- Gaither JR, Goulet JL, Becker WC, Crystal S, Edelman EJ, Gordon K, Kerns RD, Rimland D, Skanderson M, Justice AC, Fiellin DA: The Association Between Receipt of Guideline-Concordant Long-Term Opioid Therapy and All-Cause Mortality. J Gen Intern Med. 2016 May. PMID: 26847447
- Smith SM, Amtmann D, Askew RL, Gewandter JS, Hunsinger M, Jensen MP, McDermott MP, Patel KV, Williams M, Bacci ED, Burke LB, Chambers CT, Cooper SA, Cowan P, Desjardins P, Etropolski M, Farrar JT, Gilron I, Huang IZ, Katz M, Kerns RD, Kopecky EA, Rappaport BA, Resnick M, Strand V, Vanhove GF, Veasley C, Versavel M, Wasan AD, Turk DC, Dworkin RH: Pain intensity rating training: results from an exploratory study of the ACTTION PROTECCT system. Pain. 2016 May. PMID: 27058680
- Becker WC, Gordon K, Jennifer Edelman E, Kerns RD, Crystal S, Dziura JD, Fiellin LE, Gordon AJ, Goulet JL, Justice AC, Fiellin DA: Trends in Any and High-Dose Opioid Analgesic Receipt Among Aging Patients With and Without HIV. AIDS Behav. 2016 Mar. PMID: 26384973
- Beitel M, Stults-Kolehmainen M, Cutter CJ, Schottenfeld RS, Eggert K, Madden LM, Kerns RD, Liong C, Ginn J, Barry DT: Physical activity, psychiatric distress, and interest in exercise group participation among individuals seeking methadone maintenance treatment with and without chronic pain. Am J Addict. 2016 Mar; 2016 Jan 29. PMID: 26824197
- Kroll-Desrosiers AR, Skanderson M, Bastian LA, Brandt CA, Haskell S, Kerns RD, Mattocks KM: Receipt of Prescription Opioids in a National Sample of Pregnant Veterans Receiving Veterans Health Administration Care. Womens Health Issues. 2016 Mar-Apr; 2015 Nov 6. PMID: 26549242
- Heapy AA, Higgins DM, LaChappelle KM, Kirlin J, Goulet JL, Czlapinski RA, Buta E, Piette JD, Krein SL, Richardson CR, Kerns RD: Cooperative pain education and self-management (COPES): study design and protocol of a randomized non-inferiority trial of an interactive voice response-based self-management intervention for chronic low back pain. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2016 Feb 16; 2016 Feb 16. PMID: 26879051
- Patel KV, Cochrane BB, Turk DC, Bastian LA, Haskell SG, Woods NF, Zaslavsky O, Wallace RB, Kerns RD: Association of Pain With Physical Function, Depressive Symptoms, Fatigue, and Sleep Quality Among Veteran and non-Veteran Postmenopausal Women. Gerontologist. 2016 Feb. PMID: 26768395
- Darnall BD, Scheman J, Davin S, Burns JW, Murphy JL, Wilson AC, Kerns RD, Mackey SC: Pain Psychology: A Global Needs Assessment and National Call to Action. Pain Med. 2016 Feb; 2016 Jan 23. PMID: 26803844
- Driscoll MA, Kerns RD: Integrated, Team-Based Chronic Pain Management: Bridges from Theory and Research to High Quality Patient Care. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2016. PMID: 26900068
- Gaither JR, Goulet JL, Becker WC, Crystal S, Edelman EJ, Gordon K, Kerns RD, Rimland D, Skanderson M, Justice AC, Fiellin DA: The Effect of Substance Use Disorders on the Association Between Guideline-concordant Long-term Opioid Therapy and All-cause Mortality. J Addict Med. 2016 Nov/Dec. PMID: 27610580
- Oberleitner LM, Beitel M, Schottenfeld RS, Kerns RD, Doucette C, Napoleone R, Liong C, Barry DT: Drug Counselors' Attitudes Toward Nonpharmacologic Treatments for Chronic Pain. J Addict Med. 2016 Jan-Feb. PMID: 26690289
- Moore BA, Anderson D, Dorflinger L, Zlateva I, Lee A, Gilliam W, Tian T, Khatri K, Ruser CB, Kerns RD: Stepped care model of pain management and quality of pain care in long-term opioid therapy. J Rehabil Res Dev. 2016. PMID: 27006068
- Stewart MO, Karlin BE, Murphy JL, Raffa SD, Miller SA, McKellar J, Kerns RD: National dissemination of cognitive-behavioral therapy for chronic pain in veterans: therapist and patient-level outcomes. Clin J Pain. 2015 Aug. PMID: 25171637
- Barry DT, Sofuoglu M, Kerns RD, Wiechers IR, Rosenheck RA: Prevalence and correlates of co-prescribing psychotropic medications with long-term opioid use nationally in the Veterans Health Administration. Psychiatry Res. 2015 Jun 30; 2015 Mar 16. PMID: 25863822
- Weisberg DF, Gordon KS, Barry DT, Becker WC, Crystal S, Edelman EJ, Gaither J, Gordon AJ, Goulet J, Kerns RD, Moore BA, Tate J, Justice AC, Fiellin DA: Long-term Prescription of Opioids and/or Benzodiazepines and Mortality Among HIV-Infected and Uninfected Patients. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2015 Jun 1. PMID: 26009831
- Driscoll MA, Higgins DM, Seng EK, Buta E, Goulet JL, Heapy AA, Kerns RD, Brandt CA, Haskell SG: Trauma, social support, family conflict, and chronic pain in recent service veterans: does gender matter? Pain Med. 2015 Jun; 2015 Apr 30. PMID: 25930005
- Frank JW, Carey EP, Fagan KM, Aron DC, Todd-Stenberg J, Moore BA, Kerns RD, Au DH, Ho PM, Kirsh SR: Evaluation of a telementoring intervention for pain management in the Veterans Health Administration. Pain Med. 2015 Jun; 2015 Feb 26. PMID: 25716075
- Heapy A, Dziura J, Buta E, Goulet J, Kulas JF, Kerns RD: Using multiple daily pain ratings to improve reliability and assay sensitivity: how many is enough? J Pain. 2014 Dec; 2014 Oct 2. PMID: 25283469
- Dorflinger LM, Ruser C, Sellinger J, Edens EL, Kerns RD, Becker WC: Integrating interdisciplinary pain management into primary care: development and implementation of a novel clinical program. Pain Med. 2014 Dec; 2014 Sep 19. PMID: 25234837
- Gaither JR, Goulet JL, Becker WC, Crystal S, Edelman EJ, Gordon K, Kerns RD, Rimland D, Skanderson M, Weisberg DF, Justice AC, Fiellin DA: Guideline-concordant management of opioid therapy among human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-infected and uninfected veterans. J Pain. 2014 Nov; 2014 Aug 23. PMID: 25152300
- Pellico LH, Gilliam WP, Lee AW, Kerns RD: Hearing new voices: registered nurses and health technicians experience caring for chronic pain patients in primary care clinics. Open Nurs J. 2014; 2014 Sep 9. PMID: 25246996
- Barry DT, Savant JD, Beitel M, Cutter CJ, Schottenfeld RS, Kerns RD, Moore BA, Oberleitner L, Joy MT, Keneally N, Liong C, Carroll KM: The feasibility and acceptability of groups for pain management in methadone maintenance treatment. J Addict Med. 2014 Sep-Oct. PMID: 25100310
- Farrar JT, Troxel AB, Haynes K, Gilron I, Kerns RD, Katz NP, Rappaport BA, Rowbotham MC, Tierney AM, Turk DC, Dworkin RH: Effect of variability in the 7-day baseline pain diary on the assay sensitivity of neuropathic pain randomized clinical trials: an ACTTION study. Pain. 2014 Aug; 2014 May 14. PMID: 24831421
- Bohnert AS, Ilgen MA, Trafton JA, Kerns RD, Eisenberg A, Ganoczy D, Blow FC: Trends and regional variation in opioid overdose mortality among Veterans Health Administration patients, fiscal year 2001 to 2009. Clin J Pain. 2014 Jul. PMID: 24281278
- Burgess DJ, Nelson DB, Gravely AA, Bair MJ, Kerns RD, Higgins DM, van Ryn M, Farmer M, Partin MR: Racial differences in prescription of opioid analgesics for chronic noncancer pain in a national sample of veterans. J Pain. 2014 Apr; 2014 Jan 16. PMID: 24440840
- Seng EK, Driscoll MA, Brandt CA, Bathulapalli H, Goulet J, Silliker N, Kerns RD, Haskell SG: Prescription headache medication in OEF/OIF veterans: results from the Women Veterans Cohort Study. Headache. 2013 Sep; 2013 Jun 28. PMID: 23808756
- Becker WC, Fraenkel L, Edelman EJ, Holt SR, Glover J, Kerns RD, Fiellin DA: Instruments to assess patient-reported safety, efficacy, or misuse of current opioid therapy for chronic pain: a systematic review. Pain. 2013 Jun; 2013 Mar 14. PMID: 23601625
- Goulet JL, Brandt C, Crystal S, Fiellin DA, Gibert C, Gordon AJ, Kerns RD, Maisto S, Justice AC: Agreement between electronic medical record-based and self-administered pain numeric rating scale: clinical and research implications. Med Care. 2013 Mar. PMID: 23222528
- Edelman EJ, Gordon K, Becker WC, Goulet JL, Skanderson M, Gaither JR, Brennan Braden J, Gordon AJ, Kerns RD, Justice AC, Fiellin DA: Receipt of opioid analgesics by HIV-infected and uninfected patients. J Gen Intern Med. 2013 Jan; 2012 Aug 16. PMID: 22895747
- Kerns RD, Philip EJ, Lee AW, Rosenberger PH: Implementation of the veterans health administration national pain management strategy. Transl Behav Med. 2011 Dec. PMID: 24073088
- Kerns RD: Antidepressants combined with self-management of pain improves outcomes in people with comorbid pain and depression. Evid Based Ment Health. 2010 Feb. PMID: 20164510
- Masheb RM, Kerns RD, Lozano C, Minkin MJ, Richman S: A randomized clinical trial for women with vulvodynia: Cognitive-behavioral therapy vs. supportive psychotherapy. Pain. 2009 Jan; 2008 Nov 20. PMID: 19022580
- Haskell SG, Papas RK, Heapy A, Reid MC, Kerns RD: The association of sexual trauma with persistent pain in a sample of women veterans receiving primary care. Pain Med. 2008 Sep; 2008 Jun 28. PMID: 18565005
- Barry DT, Bernard MJ, Beitel M, Moore BA, Kerns RD, Schottenfeld RS: Counselors' Experiences Treating Methadone-maintained Patients with Chronic Pain: A Needs Assessment Study. J Addict Med. 2008 Jun. PMID: 21768980
- Gordon D, Inturrisi CE, Greensmith JE, Brennan TJ, Goble L, Kerns RD: Perioperative pain management in the opioid-tolerant individual. J Pain. 2008 May; 2008 Mar 12. PMID: 18337186
- Martell BA, O'Connor PG, Kerns RD, Becker WC, Morales KH, Kosten TR, Fiellin DA: Systematic review: opioid treatment for chronic back pain: prevalence, efficacy, and association with addiction. Ann Intern Med. 2007 Jan 16. PMID: 17227935
- Hadjimichael O, Kerns RD, Rizzo MA, Cutter G, Vollmer T: Persistent pain and uncomfortable sensations in persons with multiple sclerosis. Pain. 2007 Jan; 2006 Sep 1. PMID: 16949751
- Frantsve LM, Kerns RD: Patient-provider interactions in the management of chronic pain: current findings within the context of shared medical decision making. Pain Med. 2007 Jan-Feb. PMID: 17244101
- Kerns RD, Thorn BE, Dixon KE: Psychological treatments for persistent pain: an introduction. J Clin Psychol. 2006 Nov. PMID: 16937343
- Barry LC, Gill TM, Kerns RD, Reid MC: Identification of pain-reduction strategies used by community-dwelling older persons. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2005 Dec. PMID: 16424290
- Kerns RD, Wagner J, Rosenberg R, Haythornthwaite J, Caudill-Slosberg M: Identification of subgroups of persons with chronic pain based on profiles on the pain stages of change questionnaire. Pain. 2005 Aug. PMID: 15985332
- Masheb RM, Lozano C, Richman S, Minkin MJ, Kerns RD: On the reliability and validity of physician ratings for vulvodynia and the discriminant validity of its subtypes. Pain Med. 2004 Dec. PMID: 15563320
- Masheb RM, Lozano-Blanco C, Kohorn EI, Minkin MJ, Kerns RD: Assessing sexual function and dyspareunia with the Female Sexual Function Index (FSFI) in women with vulvodynia. J Sex Marital Ther. 2004 Oct-Dec. PMID: 15672599
- Kerns RD, Habib S: A critical review of the pain readiness to change model. J Pain. 2004 Sep. PMID: 15501193
- Barry LC, Kerns RD, Guo Z, Duong BD, Iannone LP, Reid MC: Identification of strategies used to cope with chronic pain in older persons receiving primary care from a Veterans Affairs Medical Center. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2004 Jun. PMID: 15161460
- Barry LC, Guo Z, Kerns RD, Duong BD, Reid MC: Functional self-efficacy and pain-related disability among older veterans with chronic pain in a primary care setting. Pain. 2003 Jul. PMID: 12855322
- Reid MC, Guo Z, Towle VR, Kerns RD, Concato J: Pain-related disability among older male veterans receiving primary care. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2002 Nov. PMID: 12403801
- Masheb RM, Brondolo E, Kerns RD: A multidimensional, case-control study of women with self-identified chronic vulvar pain. Pain Med. 2002 Sep. PMID: 15099260
- Reid MC, Crone KT, Otis J, Kerns RD: Differences in pain-related characteristics among younger and older veterans receiving primary care. Pain Med. 2002 Jun. PMID: 15102156
- Kerns RD, Rosenberg R, Otis JD: Self-appraised problem solving and pain-relevant social support as predictors of the experience of chronic pain. Ann Behav Med. 2002 Spring. PMID: 12054314
- Kerns RD, Kassirer M, Otis J: Pain in multiple sclerosis: a biopsychosocial perspective. J Rehabil Res Dev. 2002 Mar-Apr. PMID: 12051466