Cenk Tek MD
Associate Professor of Psychiatry; Director, Psychosis Program, CMHC
Schizophrenia; Psycho-pharmacology; Cognitive neuroscience; Translational neuroscience; Working memory; Cognitive impairment in schizophrenia; Medical comorbidities in schizophrenia; Obesity and mental illness; Human reward mechanisms and appetite regulation
Our lab can accommodate limited number of students for small projects on cognition in schizophrenia or cross-sectional case control studies in clinical subjects in relevance to schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders. We are also interested in human reward mechanisms and appetite regulation, and can support small student projects in these areas.
- Chwastiak LA, Tek C. The unchanging mortality gap for people with
schizophrenia. Lancet. 2009 Aug 22;374(9690):590-2
- Jean-Baptiste M, Tek C*, Liskov E, Chakunta UR, Nicholls S, Hassan AQ, Brownell
KD, Wexler BE. A pilot study of a weight management program with food provision
in schizophrenia. Schizophr Res. 2007 Nov;96(1-3):198-205.
- Kirkpatrick B, Tek C. Schizophrenia: Clinical Features and Psychopathology Concepts; in Kaplan and Sadock’s Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry/VIIIth ed. Eds: Sadock BJ and Sadock VA, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia, 2005
- Tek C, Gold J, Blaxton T, Wilk C, McMahon RP, Buchanan RW. Visual perceptual
and working memory impairments in schizophrenia. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2002
- Tek C, Kirkpatrick B, Buchanan RW. A five-year followup study of deficit and
nondeficit schizophrenia. Schizophr Res. 2001 Apr 30;49(3):253-60
- Tek C, Kirkpatrick B, Kelly C, McCreadie RG. Summer birth and deficit
schizophrenia in Nithsdale, Scotland. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2001 Sep;189(9):613-7